78th General Convention - June 25 - July 3, 2015 in Salt Lake City, UT
The 2015 Province I Synod and General Convention Orientation will be April 17-18, 2015 at the Marlboro (MA) Holiday Inn.
The 2015 General Convention Website offers valuable resources for delegates and interested parties.
Watch this space for updates.
DRAFT SCHEDULE (08/16/14)
RECAP - 2012 General Convention
Check out this MEDIA HUB LINK for General Convention Information! Diocesan Reports are available also: Diocese of Connecticut, Diocese of Massachusetts, Diocese of Maine, Diocese of New Hampshire, Diocese of Rhode Island, Diocese of Vermont, and Diocese of Western Massachusetts
- Dante Tavolaro and the Rev Canon Mally Lloyd were elected to represent Province 1 on the Joint Nominating Committee for the Election of the Presiding Bishop
- The Join Committee on Program, Budget and Finance released the budget for the next triennuum, includes significant resources for Mission Development Zones and church planting.
- Deputies voted to sell while Bishops voted to relocate, not sell, the church center.
- The Episcopal House of Deputies also passed the legislation approving the use of Same Sex Blessings! With both houses passing the legislation, Episcopal churches around the world can begin to use a blessing that will greatly inform our understanding of committed relationships for ALL PEOPLE.
- Resolution to create a Special Task Force to re-imagine the working of the Episcopal Church passed the House of Deputies July 10.
- Gender identity or expression resolutions adopted to prohibit discrimination in lay and ordained ministry discernment as well as in the life, work, and governance of the Episcopal Church.
- Bishops and Deputies decline to take a position on the Anglican Covenant.
- Both houses approved resolution for positive investment in the Palestinian territories and affirmed a two-state solution; a motion calling for “more vigorous and public corporate engagement with companies in the church’s investment portfolio that contribute to the infrastructure of the Occupation,” cleared the House of Deputies, but then got tabled by the bishops.
Gay Jennings elected President of the House of Deputies
During a July 11 media briefing, Rushing said he is very pleased with the outcome and looks forward to working together with the Rev. Gay Jennings of Ohio, who was elected July 10 to serve at president of the House of Deputies. According to the church’s constitution and canons, he said, the position of vice president is “to be around and present and known in case anything might happen to the president. I would expect to spend a considerable amount of time in various liturgies in the Episcopal Church praying for the health and wealth … of our president-elect Jennings.”
Program, Budget and Finance presents budget to General Convention
Bishop Curry Challenges us to be Crazy Christians!
Dante Tavolaro and The Rev Canon Mally Llyod elected to represent Province 1 on the to JNCEPB (Joint Nominating Committee for the Election of the Presiding Bishop)
The House of Deputies elected Dante Tavolaro and the Rev Canon Mally Lloyd to represent Province 1 on the Joint Nominating Committee for the Election of the Presiding Bishop on Wednesday July 11.
Dante Tavolaro is a lay deputy from the Diocese of RI. This is my third General Convention and second time as a deputy. I am a parishioner of St. Paul's Episcopal Church, Pawtucket RI where I served in music and formation ministries and currently serve on the vestry. I also serve as a board member of The Jonathan Daniels House - which is in the process of becoming a member of Episcopal Service Corps. I have served on Diocesean Council and is a delegate to the Diocesan Convention. On the wider Church level I have had involvement with Episcopalains for Global Reconciliation, Integirty, TransEpiscopal, The Episcopal Youth Event, and Young Adult Gatherings.
Upon returning home from General Convention, I will begin a new ministry position at St. Peter's By the Sea, Narragansett RI as the Director of Ministry focusing on Formation, Hospitality, and Outreach. I previously served St. Martin's Episcopal Church, Providence RI as the Director of Christian Formation. I am most passionate about transformative and transcendent worship and helping to form people to desire the Kingdom of God. I believe the Church is at a critical moment where we have the opportunity to stand up and claim who we are - a Church that rejoices in worship, fellowship, and the spreading of the Gospel throughout the world in which we live. A 2011 graduate of Rhode Island College with a B.A. in Political Science, my studies focused on Courts and Public Policy, and International Non-Governmental Organization Studies (INGOS). My senior thesis was on the history and development of the Book of Common Prayer. I am a member of the national history honors society and an associate of the Society of St. Margaret.
The Rev. Canon Mally Ewing Lloyd, as canon to the ordinary to Bishop M. Thomas Shaw, SSJE since December 2008, serves as a chief executive, overseeing operations for the Episcopal Diocese of Massachusetts. She is a deputy to the Episcopal Church's General Convention and a member of the Program, Budget and Finance Committee and the Standing Commission for Ministry Development. Before joining the bishop's staff, Lloyd was for six years the rector of Christ Church in Plymouth. Prior to that she served as an associate rector, and then interim rector, of Christ Church in Needham. She has been an active leader in the diocese for many years, serving on Diocesan Council and its Executive Committee and providing mentorship through the Fresh Start program for clergy beginning in new ministry. She has served both on parish search committee and suffragan bishop nominating committees in the diocese. She is a graduate of Brown University and holds a master of divinity degree from Episcopal Divinity School.
PROVINCE I Reception Sunday July 8, 2012
Don't Miss the Diocesan Deputations listed at the very end of this page.
[ENS - March 13, 2012] The 77th Episcopal Church General Convention will be held July 5 through July 12 at the Indiana Convention Center in Indianapolis, IN. The Episcopal Church’s General Convention is held every three years, and is the bicameral governing body of the Church. It is composed of the House of Bishops, with upwards of 200 active and retired bishops and the House of Deputies, with clergy and lay representatives elected from the 110 dioceses of the Church, at more than 800 members.
- For complete and extensive information on the General Convention 2012, check the website: http://generalconvention.org/gc
- The Bishop and Deputy Handbook, an important reference for understanding and navigating General Convention, has been revised for 2012 and is now available to download at no cost at http://generalconvention.org/gc/prepare . Available in English and Spanish, the Bishop and Deputy Handbook is 22 pages and includes an outline of the legislative process, a listing of the chairs of the Legislative Committees, and a draft schedule for General Convention 2012.
- Applications for credentials for media representatives requesting to cover the General Convention 2012 will be available on April 9. Additional information will be forthcoming.
- The Report to the 77th General Convention, commonly referred to as the Blue Book, will be available in mid-April. The Blue Book will be available to all as a free PDF download on the General Convention website, and will also be available for purchase in printed and e-book formats through Church Publishing. Additional information will be forthcoming.
- The Abundant Life Garden Project, General Convention children’s program for ages birth through Grade 5, will be offered through the Episcopal Church and the Diocese of Indianapolis, in partnership with Waycross Center, Episcopal Relief & Development, and the National Episcopal Health Ministries. For more information contact Ruth-Ann Collins, Episcopal Church Adult Formation and Lifelong Learning Officer, firstname.lastname@example.org . To register: https://www.formstack.com/forms/DFMS-gc_children
- The host diocese is the Diocese of Indianapolis, Bishop Catharine Waynick.
- Spaces are still available for vendors in the popular Exhibit Hall. More information here http://generalconvention.org/gc
- Twitter Hashtag for General Convention will be #GC12
Additional information on the 77th General Convention will continue to be issued.
- The Episcopal Church: www.episcopalchurch.org
- General Convention: http://generalconvention.org/gc
- Diocese of Indianapolis http://indydio.org/diocese2010/
- Bishop & Deputy Handbook: http://generalconvention.org/gc/prepare
- Episcopal Church General Convention: July 5 - 12 http://www.episcopalchurch.org/notice/episcopal-church-general-convention-july-5-12
# # # #For more info contact: Neva Rae Fox, Public Affairs Officer, The Episcopal Church, email@example.com, 212-716-6080 Mobile: 917-478-5659